From:
Teresa Pitman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Aug 2003 08:10:00 -0400
No matter what the latch looks like on the outside, if the mother is in
pain, the nipple is misshapen and blistered when it comes out of baby's
mouth, and the baby seems not to be getting much milk - then the latch is
not perfect.

It is hard to know what to adjust without seeing the mother. I would try for
a very asymmetrical latch as my first step and see if that improves things.
I would check for tongue tie and try to feel the position of the baby's
tongue while nursing (just put my finger at the baby's bottom lip while
nursing to see if I can feel the tongue there). Use breast compression while
feeding. Maybe try a different position to see if this helps you get a
better latch.

Teresa Pitman
Guelph, Ontario