From:
"Glass, Marsha" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Mar 2003 09:26:59 -0500
Didn't read my Lactnets over the weekend so I have only just learned of Liz's passing.  I am shocked and so saddened.  She was everything that has already been sad of her and I had the privilege of her advice on putting together breastfeeding legislation for the state of Indiana.  This news  comes
at the same time I was coming in to work this morning to report my own news in this arena along with a story.  So, a tribute to Liz from Indiana, one of many states she has helped!  My news is that Indiana has passed through both houses legislation giving women the "right" to breastfeed anywhere
they have a right to be.  It is sitting on the governor's desk currently, awaiting his signature.  It is bare bones legislation, not what Liz advised us to go for, but it seems a couple of legislators already had it in mind to introduce this, so our committee, which had been working on writing
something to be introduced (actually, I had already written it, thus my conversations with Liz), went along with what they already had, instead of pushing for more.  Though I was personally disappointed, it is a beginning, and I hope we can build on it in the future.

Now for the story.  Over the weekend, my dh and I made our annual pilgrimage to the lawn and patio show where we like to get a jump start on the gardening season.  My goal for this year was to find or get ideas for a water fountain of some sort.  We looked all afternoon and found a fountain my dh
liked, but I wasn't sold so we kept looking.  At the end of the day, just before close, my husband said, "I found your fountain" as I was talking to a lady at a booth across the aisle.  Indeed, he did find it.  It was a beautiful resin fountain of a mother breastfeeding a baby, with a toddler by her
side!  As my dh was paying for it, I talked to one of the ladies who worked in the booth and told her what I do for a living.  She said that they had gotten a few complaints about the fountain (it's about 5 feet tall!) but she had told people, "Well, didn't they just legalize that?!"   Obviously,
the word has gotten out in the media and may be making a difference already!  So now, as I sit out on my patio or work in my gardens and hear the splashing of the fountain, I will think of Liz.  I think she would have liked that....

Marsha, in Indiana where spring is in the air.

Mothers have as powerful an influence over the welfare of future generations as all other earthly causes combined.