Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2005 13:43:04 EST

Kerri  says:

<<I am just so  saddened to read the outline of this book.  It will be
marketed
as a main-stream bible of infant feeding.  It sounds like the   publishers
have
really big plans.  Ugghh.>>

***************************

This book was originally  published in 1996 by Pima Press.  Apparently it is
now going to be  republished (edition 2 -- I see there are going to be 10
chapters instead of the  current 7), by Adler & Robin Books (yes, Peggy Robin, the
author of the book  is the "vice president" of this company).

If you read down the page of  the URL that Kerri shared with us, you will see
that our very own Diane  Weissinger is mentioned -- Here's the full quote:

Implicit in such books is the idea that the bottlefeeding  mother is an
inferior parent. It's not hard to see how the nursing mothers who  read these books
can end up feeling smug-and how easily they might end up saying  thing to
make the bottlefeeding mother feel guilty. To get an idea of what  bottlefeeding
mothers are up against, let's just take a quick look at a few  letters to the
editors that have appeared in recent magazines and newspapers:
The World Health Organization and UNICEF rank acceptable infant  feedings as
follows: first, breastfeeding; second, the mother's own milk  expressed for
her child; third, milk from another human mother; and fourth,  artificial baby
milk. No baby deserves fourth best, whatever the circumstances.
-Diane Wiessinger

Right on Diane!!  Even when we have to use formula for whatever  reason, it
is STILL fourth best.

The book was bad in 1996.  I don't see any reason why it should have  any
redeeming qualities in 2005.

Jan Barger -- GranJan to formula fed Deven which distresses us all very
much, and for whom formula was definitely a fourth choice.  Sigh.  By  the way,
he's now had his first two solid foods -- watermelon and part of an  Auntie
Anne's pretzel.  With formula, his gut is already in an adult flora  state, so
even though he's only 5 months, what the heck.