From:
CBrussel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Apr 1998 19:05:18 EDT
dear Joy,

i received a very supportive email a while back from one of our list moms,
pointing out that the difference between an LLLL and an LC consisted of levels
of knowledge. while we as LLLL can have a great deal of knowledge, to whatever
level we wish, there are two elements pertaining to Leadership that i think
point towards the need for professional LCs. one is that there seems to be a
certain resistance within LLL to Leaders using knowledge outside the strict
parameters of LLL material. this may not be true of other regions, i only know
what the story is here, but that is my impression.

also, as Kathleen pointed out to me, an LC should have the knowledge to deal
with the situations that LLLL cannot handle, doesn't usually see, has no
experience with, etc. i think of such cases as getting a baby back to breast,
the kind of thing that takes innumerable phone calls and at least a couple of
visits or two to handle as an LLLL and i don't know many of us who have the
time or background to handle that as a volunteer. and the tendency with LLL is
to attempt to manage things solely by phone, which is a position i have found
to be impossible to maintain with certain types of situations.

so there is my 2 cents worth and then some, but i must say, i would send
anyone to Joy for anything with the greatest confidence!

carol b.