From:
Darlene A Breed <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2000 17:57:30 -0500
> Where Alex was born, the hospital has a "policy" of mandatory 2-4
> hour
> separation of mother and baby after birth.  I simply refused.  They
> have a
> "policy" of bathing the baby right after birth (vigorously, under
> running
> water, with a scrub brush).  I refused.  They have a "policy" of all
> babies
> being in the nursery for pediatric rounds every morning.  I refused.
>  They
> have a "policy" of no children under 13 allowed to spend the night
> in the
> mom's room without another adult present.  I got verbal permission
> ahead of
> time from the main nurse for my 11 year old daughter to spend the
> night with
> me, while my husband went home with the 6 year old.  They tried to
> tell me
> she couldn't stay (main nurse wasn't on duty that night).  I told
> them to go
> fly a kite.
>
> I think patients are much too compliant with what I consider
> "advice" from
> medical personnel.
Well stated.  As a patient you have every right to refuse any treatment
even if you signed a "blanket" consent.  We have a form that a patient
can sign for refusal of treatment and I am pretty sure  other hospitals
have that same form.  I would offer that to anyone who doesn't want a
treatment done that someone insists is hospital policy.  I have never had
a problem with anyone signing the refusal for treatment.  I just put that
in the chart and then the physician, NP or whoever sees that the patient
didn't want the treatment.  Some treatments you just refuse.  The form is
only for something that might be cause for litigation down the line.  So
if you're worried, as the caretaker, have the patient sign the refusal of
treatment form.  This way everyone is happy.  Ask for a copy of the
Patients Rights Statement.   We do have to follow procedure, but if a
patient refuses a procedure just document the refusal and go on.  Don't
make judgements.  Part of being a nurse is being non-judgemental.  Too
many of us forget this.  We don't all believe in the same thing.  This is
the USA.
Thank you,
Darlene Breed, BSN, RN, IBCLC
Coordinator, Milk Bank & Breastfeeding Center, Worcester, MA (USA)
Treasurer, Human Milk Bank Association of North America (HMBANA)