From:
Judy Ritchie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 May 2001 01:13:05 -0700
Regarding "women should be allowed to choose where they want to spend
the first few days with their baby..."

Rachel mentioned that hospitals are an extremely expensive place to
have a few days off after giving birth--besides all their
interventions.  20 and 30 years ago I had two neighbors who were both
best friends who thought the 3 day hospital stay after giving birth was
their "vacation."

The late author Norman Cousins who wrote "Anatomy of an Illness" was
hospitalized with a dire prognosis for his connective tissue disease.
He treated himself for pain using laughter instead of drugs playing
Candid Camera's reruns.  He also thought it was too expensive to stay in
the hospital.  He had his real "recovery" room set up in a conveniently
located hotel to satisfy all his needs.  It was much cheaper, plus it
worked to allow him sleep to recover instead of always being awakened
at horrible hours for tests and meds.

When my husband and I decided on home birth for #2 child, we actually
discussed whether we should rent a motorhome for my labor and delivery
and park us in the hospital parking lot "just in case of emergency."  We
thought that would be ideal if risk was involved.
Judy Ritchie