Date:
Fri, 9 May 2003 07:41:58 EDT
Linda Pohl said,

> Mom's supply is well ahead of baby and I was mulling over an idea to
> increase caloric content of the milk.  Dr. Wight has said in the past that
> the protein is very important for growth so I am not thrilled with just
> skimming and using more fat because the protein is in the skim.

Linda, this is new information to me.  I was unaware that there was a
difference in amount of protein or carbohydrate in the foremilk vs. the hind
milk.  I was under the impression that both protein and lactose were constant
throughout the feed, though would go down in percentage (but not amount) as
the fat content increased during the end of the feed.  But that doesn't mean
there is any less protein in the hind milk.  So I'm not sure why
lactoengineering and giving more hindmilk would be a problem.  I'm obviously
missing something here -- do you know where I can look this up so I can
include it in my lectures on composition?  Lawrence doesn't say anything
about this in her book.

Thanks!

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC, RLC
Wheaton, Illinois