Date:
Tue, 15 Mar 2005 10:22:32 +0000
I have to admit to mixed feelings about the car seat analogy.

Of course it is amusing amd it works here in the UK, where it is
illegal not to restrain an infant in a car seat.

But how would one use it? I can't imagine ever using it with
healthcare professionals  *or* with mothers.

Because for mothers who wanted to breastfeed, and found it didn't
work for them (because, in the vast majority of cases, circumstances
and not physiology or 'luck' were against them), they would find this
analogy very hurtful, and actually, very unfair. Mothers like this
will be in every audience or class, professional and non-professional.

I have had this discussion before on Lactnet. There are people who
feel the risks of not bf are so great, we don't need to consider the
feelings of mothers who do not bf, for whatever reason.  And there
are people like me, who think we should.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc, tutor, UK