Date:
Sat, 7 Apr 2007 14:44:04 -0700
<<(which I don't really want to do, but boy would I like six hours of
sleep).>>

Just bear in mind that night-weaning does not directly translate to more
sleep.  I night-weaned my son at 20 months b/c he was nursing every hour
at night, I had sever PPD which I was medicated for by then and I was so
exhausted.  He was about 2 1/2 before he started sleeping anything more
than 2.5 - 3 hours at night (an improvement over 1 hour at least).  By
the time he was three, he was sleeping about six to seven hours, his
sister was a tiny baby and we were finally able to start transitioning
him out of our bed at that time as well.  So it was over a year from the
time that we night-weaned to the time that he was sleeping six hours
(and by then I had a brand new baby so I didn't get to benefit form it
other than having a break from night-nursing but I still woke to cuddle
Liam back to sleep once he wast night-weaned.  I'm not saying this to
discourage you - I do not regret night-weaning b/c I was in the place as
you: either never breastfeed again which I knew I didn't want, or stop
nursing at night so I can enjoy the nursing sessions during the day.  It
did help me not to resent nursing him etc. but it didn't buy me any
extra sleep (although had I not had two more babies since him, then of
course I'd be sleeping soundly every night and would have been for the
past three years LOL.  Just have realistic expectations when you do it
that the six hour stretch of sleep you are anticipating isn't going to
necessarily miraculously happen right away.  It might - every toddler is
different - but many mothers find the baby still wakes after being
night-weaned and there's a transition time b/w the night-weaning and the
longer stretches of sleep.  Good luck!

Margo
(getting a 5 hour stretch from 8 PM - 1 AM which is the most I've ever
had with a baby under a year!!)