From:
g raphael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 2009 11:58:38 -0800
people are going to believe what they want to believe... i think the information IS out there.. but people just aren't going to believe it... there was a UK documentary on how babies have elevated heart rates and higher cortisol levels in outward facing prams, but so many of my girlfriends didn't believe it... they thought, rubbish, i know that my child benefits from a forward facing pram because they're being mentally stimulated... building their brains (which is what society prizes most)... rubbish to their emotional health...

there was an article about flatheads (Deformational Plagiocephaly) in England becoming so common... how because babies spend so much time in carseats and on their back (kicking on the mat)  there heads are becoming deformed.... rubbish my girlfriends say, babies need to kick on the mat for straight backs, strong bodies, and big brains... even though evidence shows babies who are worn sit up sooner and have better posture people can't believe it because it runs so counter to what they've always believed///

even when you say to a woman, formula milk impedes normal brain growth... their reaction is of ANGER not interest... they're angry at you for giving them this information, information that they're going to have to try and "forget" so that they can formula feed guilt-free....

I believe the info is out there and in front of most people but too counter to what we've always believed for people's minds to change... and for people's values to change...
i think the root of it is what people value... big hearts or big brains, healthy minds or healthy bank balances, unconditional love or unconditional credit lines, socially stable children or stable social lives....

even when told the information people don't believe it because it doesn't force them to re-evaluate infant-care... it forces them to reavulate everything they hold dear in life...
yes, there are the people who learn and are affirmed by all our evidence-based research but i don't believe it's the mainstream... not yet anyway... but don't worry that doesn't stop me from alientating everyone i know with the "truth"....:> (thank goodness for LACTNET)

rgds
georgia "can i testfy" raphael