From:
Becky Krumwiede <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jul 1995 11:58:34 EDT
Hello, all.  I was fascinated to read about the use of ultrasound for blocked
ducts that our Australian colleagues Robyn Noble and Anne Bovey wrote about.  I
can think back to a couple of mothers who would have been glad to have something
else to try.  Has anyone in the U.S. tried this?  If so, was it effective, where
did they go, how much did it cost?

Yesterday I called a chiropractor I know to ask about it, since I they do
ultrasound treatments.  They'd never done a breast, but would be willing and the
standard charge for ultrasound is $19.50.  She's currently researching dosage
levels, etc.

I was also interested in the Epsom's Salts for really bad engorgement--how long
(typically) does she soak, does it usually need to be done more than once, what
concentration do you use?  I've only ever used Epsom's Salts for my roses :-),
but the container suggests 2 cups/gallon of water for soaking body parts.  Is
that appropriate for breasts?  Has anyone else tried this?

I think it's so interesting to read about the different ways LC's practice in
different areas!

Becky Krumwiede, RN, IBCLC (Wisconsin)
Queen of weeds in the garden today!