From:
Heidi Koslo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jan 2004 10:15:06 -0900
OK, I've been back a whole week now from visiting the in-laws in Florida (yes, the issue of "Is Emma still nursing?" came up ... I just dodged with a "not very often ... sometimes not even to go to sleep" ... OK, dodged, lied ... it's all semantics ... saves me from a bit of grief) ... ANYWAY ... so I guess it's time for me to chime in ...

Regarding the WHO 4 (see below) ... I attended a seminar at a Regional LLL conference in September of 2002 ... in it Kay Hoover explained her 12 Steps to feed the baby, which I wrote up into an article for our Alaska Newsletter, "Leader Link" ... the reason I like her 12 steps is that infant formula doesn't come into play until Step 12!  (Not to mention the "12 step" tie-in that is so popular with all the self-help stuff in the U.S.)  I like this because it puts the importance of human milk at such great emphasis.  The order we were given in the seminar was:
1. Milk directly from the breast
2. Freshly expressed mother's own milk
3. Room temperature less than 1 hour
4. Room temperature less than 4 hours
5. Refrigerated less than 24 hours
6. Refrigerated less than 48 hours
7. Refrigerated 3 days
8. Frozen milk less than 3 months old
9. Frozen milk over 3 months old
10. Previously frozen milk stored in a refrigerator for less than 24 hours
11. Banked human milk
12. Artificial baby milk (formula)

I know this is far too much to be throwing at moms, but it can make an interesting conversation with other HCP's who think in terms of "baby won't latch on ... better get that bottle of formula."

So, there's my returning 2 cents!  Missed you guys ... glad to be back!

Heidi Koslo
Alaska USA
(Still working on that handout!)