From:
Pamela Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 2008 21:54:14 +0000
Casey

I can't answer your question regarding US hospitals, but I've seen
Kangaroo Care provided for stabilized pre-term babies in a neonatal
unit at Harare Hospital in Zimbabwe.  The main point is that mothers
providing KMC provide it 24 hours per day, and they do not sleep
lying down because the baby has to sleep more or less
upright  Special metal frames were made for the top of the mother's
bed, on which to place pillows, so that the mother slept sitting up,
not completely upright, but at an angle of a bit more than 45
degrees.  It was found to be extremely successful in that babies were
discharged, exclusively breastfed of course, after much shorter
hospital stays than babies who did not receive KMC.

Pamela Morrison IBCLC
Rustington, England (formerly in private practice in Zimbabwe)

-------------------------------
Has anybody had any success implementing KMC care for term newborns in US=
=20
hospitals?

I was wondering if anybody has any experience implementing KMC for term,=20=

healthy newborns in US hospitals.  I think the biggest hurdle I would hav=
e=20
would be having a mom sleeping while her baby is on her chest wrapped KMC=
=20
style.  I'm thinking there is no way around this as the American Academy =
of=20
Pediatrics does not recommend sleeping with babies.  However, it's worth=20=

looking into.

Any comments on how any type of KMC protocols have been implemented=20
would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Casey Clubb, RN, IBCLC
West Linn, OR, USA