Date:
Tue, 2 Mar 1999 16:33:45 EST
Hello. I have enjoyed lurking on Lactnet. I am a Physician Assistant at a
Community Health Center in Boston and am also a counselor for Nursing Mother's
Council. I wanted to describe a recent conversation I had at work and get your
feedback. I was talking with two of my co-workers. One was telling us how she
just weaned her baby at 5 1/2 months and how he seems "so much happier and
content". He's napping longer, on more of a schedule etc. The other women who
is a Pediatrician commented that based on personal experience (has 3 kids) and
professional observation she has noticed that exclusively breastfed babies do
not seem as "settled", that they tend to snack and take little naps and are
content to do this.

My questions:

1) Do you think this is a commonly perceived issue with breastfed babies (I am
referring to older babies knowing that women sometimes choose formula for
newborns because they won't have to feed them as often and they "get on a
schedule")?

2) Other than being perceived as inconvenient for the mother, are there
potential problems with this kind of sleeping/feeding behavior? What would you
advise a mother who is contemplating weaning because of this kind of pattern?

3)How would you have responded to these comments (in a non-confrontational
way)?

Melissa Walters PA-C
Arlington MA