From:
Theresa Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 07:42:44 -0700
 Where I work we have a Male LPN who is excellent with breastfeeding education.  He has never had ANY complaints (2 yrs) and only gets rave evaluations from patients.  At bedside he sits down in a chair and talks with the mom over basic stuff.  He uses a special doll for demonstration on himself.  When its time for mom to feed he puts on some non sterile gloves and assists the mom to latch with words.  If necessary he puts his hands behind moms hands to help her achieve the latch she needs.  Rarely does he need to use his own hands and if he does he asks permission as we all should do.  The gloves were his choice, not required.  He felt it helped to bring a little psychological distance.  I must say he is the one of the best on our floor who has the best success rate for pt information retention, and perserverence and correct latch.  No he does not have a chaperone.
Theresa Johnson RN IBCLC
US Army hospital
Heidelberg Germany
  Kathy Birt <[log in to unmask]> wrote: The hospital where I work as an IBCLC recently hired a male RN in the labor
and delivery area. All new nurses must work with me for a day or two to
learn how to assist mothers to breastfeed. This is my first experience
working with a male nurse. Does a female nurse have to/should be present
when he examines the patient either during labor or when assisting with
breastfeeding?