Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 2008 14:11:06 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
Diane (and all)-

I also agree that most often, nursing duration gets longer with each child. My first weaned himself just shy of a year (also lots of cup use, solids, not a lot of comfort nursing...also he was just too plain busy!!!!). My second weaned  (or was encouraged to wean) around 15 months or so, mostly due to the pressure of others (husband included) that the first birthday had come and gone and it was weird (this was also 12 years ago and I hadn't found LLL). My third nursed for 25 months, by her own accord and self-weaned) My fourth and last child nursed for around 30 months (2.5 years). Again, self-weaned, I would have gone on longer as this was my last child.
One thing I haven't seen mentioned and this relates to how often a child is nursed, as people have noted many times moms with toddlers are busier and have their attention divided. I remember, especially with my 3rd child, who was high-need and cried (a lot), the older kids encouraging me to nurse her more (as in, can't you keep her quiet, put something in her mouth already!!!). And of course, once they hit the crawling stage I recall with my last two being given the baby, mom I think she is hungry/wants to nurse (as in, can't you keep her out of our hair and off the floor and away from our things!!!). 
So, my guess is she nursed many more times per day than the others!!

Cyndi Colligan, LLL Leader, Chittenango, NY 
(enjoying the fond memories of babyhood.... Thanks, Diane!)

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2