Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2011 08:59:12 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (24 lines)
Wow Diane!  You've put so nicely into words what we have been trying to convey at my LLL meetings for years!  Couldn't quite get some mums to look at it like that, but your analogy will surely help!  Thankyou!

As for stools - no I have not seen them.  Mom describes them as yellow, the consistency of pudding.  Not at all sounding like anything abnormal.

Test weights - I don't have a scale.  But in our community it is really easy for babies to get weighed at the community health centers in each neighbourhood.  The last three weights were done on the same scale, which is different from the scale they started on for the other weights.  I am attributing the drastic loss in curve at the point of change of scales to that.  Future weights will all be done on the same scale.  Swallowing was very evident. (but yes I know there are stealth babies who just look like they are swallowing...)

I think the slow gain is likely due to shortened and infrequent feedings (babe is very distractable, mom is not very insistant, does not offer again if babe comes off due to some action in the room.  babe does not ask to nurse very often so mom does not offer often.)  I have spoken to mom in great detail about the need to change these habits.  I think that if she does the weight gain will improve.  When I do my follow up phone call in a few days I will definately make use of Diane's chocolate analogy!  It really is brilliant!

Thanks to you all!

Jennifer Welch, IBCLC, LLLC
And really looking forward to the day when I stop second guessing myself!  But you guys are wonderful for instilling confidence!

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2