Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Mar 2008 09:05:36 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (12 lines)
Hi!  you answered my email about this way back in November, and I'm finally getting the article written (due 3/13!), and I was wondering if I could quote you?  It is for the ADA Times (The American Dietetic Association's trade magazine) - if it's OK for me to quote you, please let me know how you would like me to refer to you (i.e - are you in private practice or with an organization?) - thanks so much!Melinda Johnson, MS RD Private PracticeSpokesperson, American Dietetic Association 480-659-7795> Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 12:58:58 -0800> From: [log in to unmask]> Subject: Dietetic/bf advice, how to make it palatable> To: [log in to unmask]> > We are professionals. People are supposed to PAY us for our advice. I give> it away only as a precious gift.> > I don't give unsolicited advice. I make them solicit me first. > > It's not hard. It's called the hook.> > For instance, you could make semi-mysterious yet startling pronouncements as> if they already know and agree, and pique their curiosity. > > YOU: "You're so lucky you'll get to breastfeed to protect your baby against> all this nasty RSV going around! Did you know the local high school has a> 15% absence rate right now? Poor kids--they're really suffering." > > THEM: "Breastfeeding protects against illness? Really? You mean babies that> don't breastfeed suffer more?"> > It's best to hook it to something you already know is their> concern--diabetes in the family? Obesity? Allergies? Someone sick? Cigarette> smokers? Breast cancer? If you don't know anything, get them started> talking--they'll give you the hook pretty soon.> > But make them ASK for more information. That way it's their initiative,> their game, and their idea. They are the artists of their own lives, and> you're just a tool. You can make yourself look like a really cool tool, so> handy, and privately (privately!) hope to get used.> > Arly Helm, MS, IBCLC> > ***********************************************> > Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html> To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]> Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]> COMMANDS:> 1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail> 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail> 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet> 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2