Date:
Tue, 18 Jul 2000 00:30:28 EDT
Saw a mom last Friday admitted to floor with diagnosis of "Breast Abcess".
On exam, I could find no abcess formation.  Breast was quite swollen,
reddened thru out entire breast, and weeping serous fluid from blisters that
surrounded all her breast tissue.  She stated that baby had refused that side
for last two days when breast got engorged.  She had purchased a cheap
E---flo pump from discount store and stated "it didn't work".  She had used
warm compresses on breast only once, and during the night developed a fever
of greater than 102 degrees.  Her breast looked like a celluitis to me.  Of
course she was put on IV antibiotics.  They cultured her breastmilk.  (Still
don't know the results of that.)  She refuses to give baby EBM from that
breast, eventhough we reassured her she does not have an infection in the
milk.
What happened here?  Any ideas you want to share?  TIA. Loni Denman, RN, IBCLC