From:
Joy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2005 12:12:41 +0800
>My second child was a chronic thumb sucker and a happy breastfeeder.  =
>She went on to continue this habit right up to age 12.  She could even =
>do a handstand with her thumb in her mouth!  And by the way, she has =
>lovely even teeth.
>
>Karen Palmer
>Independant midwife, New Zealand
>Mother of 4

Likewise, my second child was a thumbsucker from about 2 weeks of
age, and was breastfed for over 2 years, but sucked her thumb for a
further 5 years, until peer pressure convinced her to stop. (She
didn't want her school friends to think she was 'a baby'. ;-)

Her teeth are also fine.

I believe that a breastfed baby sucks his/her thumb in a different
way to a bottle-fed baby. It is placed further back in the mouth
(like the breast) and the tongue has the ripple motion also seen with
breastfeeding. I know this because as my daughter fell asleep while
cuddled on my lap, her thumb would come out of her mouth but the
tongue movement kept going for a while.