Date:
Fri, 29 Apr 2011 17:17:22 EDT

Hello all,

I second all the good ideas shared by others.
I wonder if another approach is to support the wounded area physically,
mechanically-speaking. Maybe this is weird, and wouldn't work, but perhaps, if
 the crack is not part of a nipple pore, butterfly bandaging the area shut
while  pumping, or  better even using skin tape that goes on and off easily,
or  some kind of teeny piece of non-stick gauze taped in place where the
tape  wouldn't irritate or pull when removed, would just give some physical
support to  the area so pumping didn't keep pulling at it in the same way.
One thing I learned recently at a wound care seminar was that just
approximating the edges and leaving it alone for as many days as possible ( very
counter to the daily wound dressing change idea I remember from PT work) as
long  as it's not dirty/damaged/infected are current guidelines for wound
care. Not  always easy to apply to wounded nipples, but something to think
about...

Peace,
Judy

Judy LeVan  Fram, PT, IBCLC, LLLL