From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Sep 2004 15:37:14 +0000
Just a few thoughts. I would have the baby seen by a peds ENT if possible.
It sounds like the tongue tie could possibly be treated. It also sounds to
me that the baby may have some compromised airway, such as tracheomalacia,
laryngeomalacia, small cleft, etc. I am not thinking thrush at all, and I am
not thinking reflux so much, as it seems the symptoms are more present
during the feeding, then baby resists going back on due to the stress of
feeding.

I think the baby may be clamping down causing the nipple pain; the clamping
is probalby being done since the tongue's function is compromised and also
to protect his airway.

It does sound like mother has a very forceful MER and this particular baby
just cannot handle that.
Of course protect the milk supply. A comfortable way must be found to feed
the baby, possibly finger feeding so baby controls flow rate, and a good
position that maximizes baby's ability to breathe during feeds. This family
should try to hook up w/ one primary provider so as to have consistency w/
this particular babe's care.

Laurie Wheeler, IBCLC, MN, RN
New Orleans Louisiana, s.e. USA