From:
Fiona Coombes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Nov 1997 10:39:41 +0800
I think that some of the 'nipple confusion is a myth' comments
originated with Chloe Fisher in the UK.
She says (I'm remembering, not quoting), that she has seen many, many
babies over the years, and has never seen one who is nipple confused.
Of course, many of us would think otherwise, and I'd like to know
what it is we are seeing that Chloe (and others) don't see.
I don't think it is a difference in level of skill at managing
breastfeeding problems, as there seem to be equally skilled and
knowledgable people on both sides of the argument.

One theory put to me at the recent International Conference in Sydney
is that in the UK the type of teats used on bottles are longer and
broader (on average) than those used elsewhere, and thus babies don't
get so confused, as the teats are more like the breast.
I don't know if this is the case, but it still doesn't seem a
reasonable explanation to me.
Dr John Neil from Melbourne Aust has done quite a bit of study on
suck in breast and bottle fed infants using ultrasound during feeds.
He suggests that we should be referring to suck confusion, not nipple
confusion. As Chanita said, it is a kinetic rather than cognitive
confusion. Even as adults, if we learn to do something one way, and
then try to change our methods, it is hard to relearn and undo 'bad
habits' (take my terrible swimming stroke as an example!!). Possibly
babies who get confused had an unusual sucking mechanism to start
with, and get 'stuck' with bottles if they are introduced. There is a
PhD in here for someone!!!

Maybe it is only a difference in 'labelling', and it doesn't matter
what we call it. After all, it is art and science we are practicing.

Fiona

Fiona Coombes MBBS IBCLC               [log in to unmask]
Lactation Consultant, Family Physician
Perth Western Australia