From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Oct 2004 07:20:58 EDT
In a message dated 10/1/2004 12:08:43 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

in our  society here in the US, many of us have to practice
defensive lactation  management.  We have to tell moms all the =
possibilities and what to  look for because they won't get the appropriate
knowledgable follow-up they  should.  In this case, breastfeeding got blamed as
the
problem, not  the fact that they had no one knowledgeable in its =
management working  with this mom on a daily basis.

Dear Friends:
    This post reminded me of Dr. Derrick Jelliffe's  comment that
"breastfeeding is a confidence game."
    Every mother should go for it; the key is the  adequate followup,
starting with trained observers making a breastfeeding  assessment every shift while
she is in the hospital, as the ABM recommends in  their protocol about
hospital management. And then, continuing in the community,  with support and
monitoring of baby's weight. Mothers and families need to know  signs of milk
sufficiency (baby wakes to ask to eat at least 8 times a day, baby  wakes up to look
around, baby poops yellow by day 5, and baby has begin to gain  weight by day
5).
    At the beginning of my career (1971), I was one of  those "breastfeeding
always works, it's the natural way" nurses, who blithely  told mothers just to
breastfeed and all will be well. I shudder now to think of  how many mothers
and babies I derailed. It is wonderful now to have such a  wealth of evidence
to put into practice!
    warmly,

Nikki Lee RN, MS, Mother of 2, IBCLC, CCE
Maternal-Child Adjunct  Faculty Union Institute and University
Film Reviews Editor, Journal of Human  Lactation
Support the WHO Code and the Mother-Friendly Childbirth  Initiative