From:
Magda Sachs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jun 1999 10:19:20 GMT
Kathy, you shared some interesting insights into Blum's previous work on LLL,
and I agree that there are distinct limitations on the way she approached the
organisation, which hold true for this book, too (e.g. geographical).

You also said "She views LLLI as being anti-feminist" and the good news I would
like to share is that she has a more sophisticated analysis than that in this
book.

Actually, not having been more than a member of LLLGB for 10 years, and only
having been to meetings for 18 months or so, I don't feel able to compare what
she says to LLLGB, but found some resonances with the largest bf group in the
UK, The National Childbirth Trust, for whom I worked for over a decade.

I think it is so great to have thoughtful views from outsiders on our
orgainsations -- but I can already hear others telling me that what they feel is
that Blum is not thoughtful.  I find some of what she says 'not true' to my
ideas and experience, but I do think she is thoughtful.

Magda Sachs
Breastfeeding Supporter, BfN, UK