Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 May 2003 19:35:01 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (23 lines)
I can only speak for the hospital where I work, in upstate NY.  All babies do get the eye ointment.  I was told the hospital would be fined heavily if this is not given, so I assume it is a law here.  However, it can be put off until the baby has been breastfed and done some bonding with parents.

We do NOT do a glucose suck/ swallow test!  This is not necessary and not law by any means.

Many of our babies do return to the nursery for a physical exam, bath, etc.  Physicians usually want the baby in the nursery for their exam, but they aren't usually doing that right away.  Babies who are not having any problems at delivery should be able to spend time with parents before exam and bathing.  At a mom's request, we accomadate as best we can.  We have done bathing at the bedside before and we frequently prolong the bath until the first breastfeeding.

I suggest parents write a birth plan and send it to the maternity unit ahead of time.  This makes it easier for her needs to be met when she comes in.  Also, talking to her pediatrician about her wishes to have him/her examine the baby with her present would be a good idea.

Hope this helps.
Billie Jean Frye

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2