From:
Judy Ritchie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Apr 2001 01:42:23 -0700
I agree with Monique that this is way out of line.  This family's
insurance company is practicing medicine prophetically (without even a
license to do so.)

I would certainly have this woman file a complaint with her state's
insurance commissioner consumer protection division and let Liz Baldwin,
legal counsel for LLLi, League itself and the AAP know.

If allowed to charge extra on insurance premiums, this would set a
terrible precedent.  They need gobs of letters of complaint and studies
proving BF results in fewer doctor visits for both mom's and babies.

Babies that do poorly on formula have to have numerous consults to
find one that can be tolerated.  Same with women on the pill sometimes.
I have psoraisis.  It comes and goes.  Let's think up all the ailments
that wax and wane.

This is outright breastfeeding discrimination.
Judy Ritchie