From:
Lisa Marasco IBCLC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jun 2006 23:28:08 -0700
The mom you write about has no history of PCOS or infertility; I'm assuming
she has no other notable health or reproductive issues, either. So I
definitely would *not* pursue metformin as there is no basis for suggesting
it. I'd spend a little more time to see if you can turn up anything else, in
her life or in the family history, for any hints.

In the meantime, two herbs that might possibly be of use to try are goat's
rue or saw palmetto. The first is being tried quite a bit now, while the
second has a little-known reputation for increasing breast tissue as well as
for "hypoplastic breasts" and "agalactia."  I personally think it might be
useful in women with a history of hirsutism or other signs of
hyperandrogenism, though its breast/lactation application does not mention
this. Note: chances are good that higher than the usual [lactation] dosages
might be necessary for a good test-- best done under supervision of someone
who is knowledgeable with these herbs.

>>Also, anyone have any experience with moms taking Metformin during
pregnancy for PCOS?<<

I'm assuming this is not related to your above case?  If you are wondering
about the safety of using metformin during pregnancy for PCOS, check out Dr.
Charles Glueck's work at The Cholesterol Center at Jewish Hospital in
Cincinnati OH, online. His work through 2003 is posted, and more available
if needed by emailing him.

~Lisa Marasco