From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Nov 2013 17:24:59 -0500
Dear Lactnet Friends:

As one who has taught the 20-hour course at least 150 times in the past 7
years, I heartily endorse Tricia Shamblin's experiences.

Truth be told, even in-person education doesn't work well enough unless it
is reinforced by best practices. I was sad to learn that!!

When staff are mandated to attend training, their hearts are not engaged.
They will play on their hand-held devices or sleep in class. I do my best
to engage them but the format works against this.That said, in person is
still better than on-line.

Sitting in a class for more than 2 hours violates basic learning theory.
Teaching all day, or listening all day are both exhausting. I can feel
participants' saturation during the class, despite varying the teaching
activities (role plays, competencies, discussion, questions and answers,
films and an excellent powerpoint). 6.7 hours of didactic training in one
session is still too much; by the end of the day our brains are full and my
voice sounds shrill in my own ears.

When I take on-line classes, I go straight to the exam at the end, and work
backwards from there. I dislike the format so much. I am a live human, not
a robot. Learning is a living process, the more interactive the better.
Give me a human teacher!

warmly,

--
Nikki Lee RN, BSN, Mother of 2, MS, IBCLC, CCE, CIMI, ANLC, CKC
Author:* Complementary and Alternative Medicine in Breastfeeding Therapy*
www.breastfeedingalwaysbest.com
https://www.facebook.com/nikkileehealth

*Get my FREE webinar series*