From:
Christina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jan 2008 23:08:19 -0800
Hi Rachel,

The only part of your post I take some issue with is the statement I left
pasted below.  I think we may be comparing apples to oranges here.  The
reason I say that is because we do not know what caused the doctors to
choose an emergent c-section.  And by that I mean we don't know what always
causes the neonate's problems.  Complications can occur because of
medications given to the mother, because of early inductions, or other
things that are done to women in hospitals.  Medications and inductions do
not occur in homebirthing women, so it's not really fair to say that the
outcomes are better in the hospital, unless we know that both environments
were equal.  For some (certainly not all, but some) of those hospital
infants, it is possible that they would have had a better outcome at home if
hospital intervention is what caused their problems to begin with.

Christina Harris, RN
Federal Way, WA