From:
Janice Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Mar 2003 12:16:02 -0600
Boy, its difficult to communicate by email sometimes!

I never said (or meant to say) that we shouldn't advocate for breastfeeding.  There is so much that needs to be done, and we can all support breastfeeding in different ways, as we are able.

I was trying to say that in some cases, having ourselves identified as "breastfeeding" advocates, may shut down communication, and shows us to be biased.

I totally believe we ALL need to talk about the risks of formula.  But I do hear from health professionals how difficult that can be.  I'm wondering if that difficulty could be overcome more easily if we first come emphasize that our concern is for infant health, rather than (seemingly) our concern for breastfeeding.

I'm not a LC, or LLL Leader, or health professional of any kind.  I sit as a "Consumer Representative" on breastfeeding committees at the local and national level.  I am almost the only non-health professional on these committees.  I think there needs to be more "moms" like me giving feedback.  I have a background in marketing, which helps me understand the effects of marketing efforts.

I know you are all proud to call yourselves "breastfeeding" advocates.  I'm just trying to show you what that may sound like to average moms, who don't think about breastfeeding as much or the same way you do.

In marketing, perception is reality.  It was only once I started reading Lactnet that I learnt about the 1st rule of breastfeeding - Feed the Baby (which might need to be formula).  Any average mom wouldn't know that,  she wouldn't know that you know all about formula, if you are an LC.

Maybe you should call yourselves Infant Feeding experts, then.  But, to me, that leaves out all the bonding and non-nutrition reasons for breastfeeding, and just put us back to competing with formula on their playing field - breastfeeding as a list of ingrediants.  And if you say infant, you are leaving our toddler nursing.  So that's why I suggested Child Health, but then what about all the women's health issues?  This is complicated, I agree, but I thinks its important to discuss and think about.  We need to label ourselves, not have the newspapers do it.

I'm gone for 3 days, so that's all from me for now.

Janice Reynolds