Date:
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 18:23:42 EDT
Valerie and all:
I was not referring to the old research that compared drip milk to mother's
own milk - clearly infants do better with their own mother's milk.  There are
several studies of mother's own milk vs fortified mother's own milk (actually
a Cochrane Review as well) which clearly show at least a short term benefit
(ie < 2years) to growth and bone mineralization.  The differences tend to
wash out after 5-8 years, but a difference in height/length remains.

I used to think that anyone who would accept formula company money to do
research was automatically suspect.  I have changed my mind - I know of no
two people more scientifically and ethically rigorous than Paula Meier and
Richard Schanler - both of whom have done some superb research using formula
money.  Lucas does have a financial interest in follow-up formulas but his
research is sound.

I agree that "we know not what we do" when using fortifiers, but I have seen
too many premies in tha past with rickets and FTT to go with with human milk
alone for the VLBW infant.
Nancy

Nancy E. Wight MD, FAAP, IBCLC
Neonatologist, Children's Hospital, and Sharp Mary Birch Hospital for Women
Medical Director, Lactation Services, Sharp HealthCare
San Diego, CA, USA