From:
Sue LaLeike <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Aug 1996 00:52:22 -0400
Dear Katherine,

One of the most ubiquitous postcards available in Florida is that of a
manatee nursing her baby.....and it looks like the baby is nipping her in
the armpit, so yes, that's where the nipple is, though I've never seen
either the real nipple or a representation of one.  At a seminar about the
gentle creatures a long time ago, I asked some questions that raised a few
eyebrows, and no one professed to know the answers, but their guesses were
that the calves not only stay with their mamas for up to 2 years, but that
they continue to nurse for that long.  If any of y'all ever get down this
way (Florida's southern Gulf Coast region) in the cooler months, I'll do my
best to direct you to places where you can still see them......we had a
scary year this winter, losing them to pollution, disease, and boat
accidents in numbers far faster than they can ever replace themselves.

Sue LaLeike
Lehigh Acres, FL