From:
Jo-Anne Elder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Jul 2005 19:54:50 -0300
<>

>i do appreciate the healthy slow gainers and the testimonials of the parents here. i have a very petite daughter (so am I) who is about 51 lbs (23 kg) at very close to 11 yrs of age. However... she was a very good gainer in her
>infancy though, slowing down after about 1 yr or so.
>

>I wonder about these petite kids - were they gaining more in early infancy?
>>Laurie Wheeler, IBCLC, MN, R

Entirely anecdotal... Most of mine are petite right now and they were not good gainers in their first year. Indeed, their gain seems to correlate to their size now. Were they meant to be petite? Perhaps. My not-so-petite one was a good gainer, but I pumped and supplemented a lot of breastmilk in her first months. Would she have been petite if I hadn't done so? I am convinced that she would have, and am glad I didn't try it out to see.

At the time, some people told me mine were healthy and some people told me they weren't -- more of the former, though. At this point, I think they probably were not really healthy slow gainers.

Jo-Anne