Date:
Tue, 11 Dec 2001 10:46:17 -0600
I have a client who had a serious mastitis 3 1/2 weeks ago. It resolved in
about 5 days, but she is left with rough skin on her breast and tough
areolear skin and nipple.

Her baby is frustrated with the feel of this nipple/areola and attacks it
like something alien and with poor latching. After a few tries at that
breast, during which he hurts the nipple he will approach the "good" breast
in the same way, hurting it too.

Mom is feeding only on the good side (where baby is doing a fine job) and
pumping the other for now. She doesn't want to do this much longer, however.

I suggested olive oil for her breast and nipple area. Have others of you
seen something similar? Is there a topical treatment that you would suggest
to hasten the recovery?

Pat Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Mailto:[log in to unmask]