Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jul 2007 21:39:11 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
Mr. Moore,
  I am writing to suggest an ideal project to follow "Sicko".  I have seen you do impressive work tackling some of the key issues found in our society, and one of the most critical for the most vulnerable of us is the issue of artificial baby milks, how they are marketed, how the companies selling them bear responsibility (along with our health care system and culture at large) for the undermining of every baby's right to recieve her mother's milk,  and how the sometimes severe health issues arising from the use of artificial baby milk are accepted in our society.
    Imagine if breastfeeding was the norm; babies would not lose the IQ points formula feeding costs them, nor would they have the high incidence of ear, GI, and respiratory infections we now accept as "normal".  The artificially increased (by formula feeding) incidence of asthma, diabetes, obesity, and allergy, the absences from work parents face due to the increased illness of their formula fed babies,  the increased incidence of SIDS, particularly in the newborn period, would all be a thing of the past.  Imagine if the companies were made to actually follow the WHO code for marketing breastmilk substitutes, instead of sacrificing the health of babies in order to increase their bottom line, if doctors got their education about infant feeding not from formula marketing representatives, but from qualified and credible sources such as IBCLCs, nutritionists, and speech therapists.  The impact on our health care system, and our need for many of its services, would be enormous.  
    I strongly encourage you to consider making the artificial baby milk companies, and their impact on the health of our children, the  focus of your next project.  Thank you for considering this input, and I look forward to seeing more of your work!
    Sincerely,
       Esther Friedman, Mom of 2 breastfed children, one of whom has multiple health issues and whose doctor credits breastfeeding with keeping him out of the hospital at least twice.
www.firstgiving.com/tylermom
There is no greater accomplishment than helping a child...

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
Mail all commands to [log in to unmask]
To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or [log in to unmask])
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet or ([log in to unmask])
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2