From:
Judy Ritchie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Nov 2002 13:41:32 -0800
I did not know that MSG was in artificial milk formulas, especially the
hypoallergenic ones.  I am highly allergic to MSG (it gives me a
migraine for which I need a shot of Demerol at the emergency room.)  Now
I am even more grateful I breastfed my daughters.
Judy Ritchie

http://www.truthinlabeling.org/formulacopy.html

After their graphs it states:

You will note that the level of neurotoxins found in the hypoallergenic
formula was greater than the level of neurotoxins found in the other
formulas. In reviewing the literature on hypoallergenic formulas, we
have found short term studies that concluded that hypoallergenic
formulas are safe because babies tolerated them and gain weight.
However, we have not seen any long term studies on the safety of
hypoallergenic formulas. We believe that well designed long term studies
would demonstrate that infants raised on hypoallergenic formulas, as
compared to infants who are breast fed or fed on non-hypoallergenic
formulas, will exhibit more learning disabilities at school age, and/or
more endocrine disorders such as obesity, and reproductive disorders,
later in life. Long term studies on the effects of hypoallergenic
formulas need to be done.
To put these figures in perspective, consider that in an FDA sponsored
study dated July, 1992 entitled "Safety of Amino Acids Used in Dietary
Supplements," the Federation of American Societies for Experimental
Biology concluded, in part, that:
"...it is prudent to avoid the use of dietary supplements of
L-glutamic acid by pregnant women, infants, and children.... and...
by women of childbearing age and individuals with affective disorders."
(MSG is called glutamic acid when used in supplements.)

Consider, also, that a press release dated May 27, 1999, which discussed
the European Commission marketing authorization for RotaShield(R)
Rotavirus Vaccine stated, in part,
"RotaShield(R) should not be given to infants who are hypersensitive to
latex or ... or monosodium glutamate."
We wish to express our appreciation to Baby Love Products Inc. of
Camrose, Alberta, Canada for obtaining some of the above information.