Date:
Wed, 11 Nov 1998 16:43:30 -0500
Check the handouts of the lecture I gave.  The references on glucose water
actually indicate that glucose water interferes with breastfeeding when it
is given instead of breastfeeding.  That is not what I was trying to get
across, and the people that are squawking have not read the literature.
What I am trying to push is the notion of sugar water (or better yet
expressed milk or expressed milk in sugar water) as a tool to *improve* the
breastfeeding (used with a lactation aid, not with a bottle, cup, finger
feeding or other).  If the breastfeeding is improved (helping with latch
*first*, using *compression* and only afterward supplementing, *if
necessary*), the baby will become less jaundiced, because the baby will get
the colostrum which is *better* for the baby than formula (even for
jaundice).

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC