From:
Lora M Gleaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Feb 1998 11:15:37 -0600
As a financial secretary by trade, I was responsible for this type of
situation.  The issue is for legal & liability reasons.  Before an air
conditioner repairman can step foot onto your property, the should
provide proof of workman's comp insurance.  This would have to be faxed,
mailed or handed to me as before any work or assessments could begin.
This will lower the repairman's customer's liability risk while the
workmen are on his customer's property.  Many building insurance
companies require this of their insured customers.  Also, I know in
Texas, the form (required & issued  by the Texas Workmen's Comp Agency)
was a requirement of those who had workmen's comp insurance to protect a
company from additional liability.

A self-employed contractor, in this case a LC, would need to provide some
sort of waiver, to limit the liability of the hospital from work-related
accidents.  This is just like a UPS driver or a mailman tripping &
falling in your yard.  Yes, they will get workmen's compensation, but
they can also sue the homeowner for their pain & suffering.

a sue happy world!!!!!!!!!

Lora Gleaton
LLL Leader

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]