From:
Judy Le Van Fram <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Nov 2006 07:28:14 EST

Nikki writes:

I have  found  some of the other
modalities' approach to torticollis to be  manipulative, as in  stretching
and even
forcing. From a CST point of  view, this is invasive and  engages tissue
defenses. What I love  about CST is its gentleness. Resolution may  occur
while mother
and  baby are in a state of profound relaxation. Sometimes  this deep
relaxation is the result of mother and or baby telling  (virtually  reliving)
 their
story with an associated somatoemotional   release.

~~ Well, biases admitted are sometimes excellent. As a PT I have witnessed
this phenomena at CST sessions with the little ones with reflux. There  are
though  techniques like muscle energy that are more gentle  and do not force,
for torticollis etc, but not all PTs are trained in  them, or at least they
weren't standard when I was a young'un...:) One can ask  certainly, what
techniques, like muscle energy, bodywork etc, the PT has  studied. As a PT I went to
years ago for a chronic back problem to professionals  and was actually not
helped by chiropractic work, nor by another PT who was  quite respected for his
work with famous musicians and dancers in  NYC -  and I got the referral from my
yoga teacher. It was the  standard  hospital PT that got my muscles to stop
screaming and fixing and  a special, gentle PT after that whose muscle energy
expertise really gave  me back my life. Without him, I would not have had the
courage or the strength  to have precious dd, now 15...:)

Peace,
Judy

Judy LeVan  Fram, PT, IBCLC, LLLL
Brooklyn, NY,  USA