From:
Cathy Urroz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Sep 2013 12:50:17 -0400
PTP, Hello to all, I usually just read all of the wonderful messages on this list, I learn sooooooo much, thank you!!!  A woman I know delivered her baby prematurely 34 plus 5 days (according to her due date) and the baby was fed by parenteral nutrition for 16 days and then they began to give him very small amounts of motherĀ“s milk and little by little the baby has tolerated larger amounts, he is three weeks old now, and he is being fed 27 ml on schedule every three hours plus parenteral nutrition, he has been gaining weight and other issues are resolving (breathing problems).  He has been evacuating very frequently, smears basically, so much so that the doctor on duty at the hospital told her they might have to quit motherĀ“s milk, fortunately she immediately called the neonatologist, who said they would keep the baby on breast milk and have some exams to find out is there is something going on.  I asked her about medicines the baby was receiving, and he did receive antibiotics for 10 days, was born by cesarean, The neonatologist told her that maybe it was the antibiotic (I thought if this too) and I also told her that being born by cesarean can impact on the gastrointestinal environment. She has been off dairy since the baby was born (doctors orders)  Yesterday she was allowed to have skin-to-skin contact.  She is much more at ease now, but still wanted to know if it was normal for the baby to have this type of frequent smearing.  Since I have very little knowledge of premature babies, I come to you for help on this.  Many blessings and hugs from Mexico, Cathy Urroz LLL, IBCLC: