Date:
Sat, 23 Sep 2000 16:59:58 -0500
Yes, thyroid problems can be related to both supply and let-down, sometimes
in opposite ways.

Hypothyroidism, or low thyroid status (mom usually on meds called
Synthroid, Levothroid, or Levoxyl), can cause a decrease in milk supply.  I
don't take mom's word that there's no history of thyroid problems  --- I
check levels.  I've diagnosed several new cases of hypothyroidism this
way.  There are other symptoms, of course, but sometimes the decrease in
milk supply is the first to manifest.

Low milk supply itself can cause "perceived lack of let-down", because if
supply is down, then the ducts and sinuses don't get distended when one has
a let-down, so the sensation of let-down, ie, the tingling, etc. doesn't
happen.  Then this gets into the psychological cycle.

Hyperthyroidism, or high thyroid status (mom usually on meds like Tapazole,
Cytomel, PTU, and/or Inderal/propranolol for symptom control) has been
shown in rodents to inhibit let-down.  Not sure the exact mechanism, as I
don't have the article with me at home, just remember that the poor little
things got engorged because they had good supply but couldn't let-down for
their pups.

Have this mom's levels been rechecked since birth?  Thyroid levels that
have been maintained with meds during pregnancy may have changed after
birth, if med doses not adjusted accordingly.  There's also a condition
known as Post-partum Thyroiditis that could be contributing to all this -
thyroid levels fluctuate depending on the phase of the thyroiditis.

Part of this mom's problem may also be that she's returned to carpool,
soccer games, etc. so soon.  Not enough time to recover from childbirth is
a major contributor to both low supply and inhibited let-down . . .
"Super-Woman Syndrome".

Hope this mini-lecture helps!
Becky Saenz, MD, IBCLC