Date:
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 12:34:03 EST
the way I phrase it is, we sometimes find the need to "facilitate a deep
latch", ie:

demo/guide how to do gentle nipple stimulation to erect the short soft nipple
if/as needed, how to elicit wide mouth, guide the mom's hand supporting the
baby at the base of the head/top of back, demo/guide what is now called
teacup hold (years ago I termed it "side areolar grasp", but I like "teacup
hold" much better), ......ease the chin down after latch if/as needed to
widen mouth and flange bottom lip......,

generally, how to facilitate the breast well into the newborn's mouth, so
that when the baby accidentally gets it right the positive reinforcement of
the flow of colostrum breast milk helps the baby learn sooner, rather than
later, that "wider is better".

my understanding is that the nipple/areolar complex is erectile tissue so it
cannot toughen but can and does become more elastic with BF, as any tight
tissue or adhesions under the areolar tissue respond to the compression and
lengthening of BF

...seems that maybe this combines with baby learning, baby coming out of a
sedated state, mom becoming more skilled and confident with positioning,
breast massage, latch , relaxation....., .... maybe nerve endings becoming
more cooperative, planets becoming aligned, all combining toward progress in
optimal latch.

Debbie Tobin
RN BSN IBCLC LCCE
ILCA Region 3 rep
LCAGW Secretary
Springfield, Virginia USA
In the Fairfax County suburbs outside the Washington DC beltway