From:
Gail Hertz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Mar 2007 18:53:26 -0400
Here's a different view-
Diana Graham, MD writes:

"I am reading with a lot of interest the debate over the usefulness/validity
of
the IBCLC credential, and I'm wondering if any of the MD/IBCLC's out there
want to venture a comment on why they chose to sit for the exam & what
they feel it adds to their knowledge or practice as physicians."

Diana, I am a Pediatrician MD, IBCLC who has sat for the exam twice [five
years apart] and will take it again in 2008. An IBCLC is the highest
"recognizable" credential a person can get. The ABM [Academy of
Breastfeeding Medicine - a physician only organization] does have a FABM
designation [Fellow of the Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine],  but there's
only about 30 of them and the general public doesn't know what they are
really.

The IBCLC means to me, and the people that recognize it, that I've taken a
reasonably difficult test in lactation and passed it. Sure it's only half as
long as boards [physician recertification] but it's specialized knowledge
that few doctors would be able to pass - thanks in part to the "education"
from sources like the formula companies and most medical schools [at least
when I graduated 10 years ago].

To my patients' parents it means I'm going to do what is reasonably possible
to help them breastfeed, won't just tell them to use formula and won't say
any one of the hundred of "uninformed" or [fill on your own word here :)]
things that doctors have a tendency to say.

To other physicians it means I'm one of "those" lactation people - so
they'll either call me or refer to me if they're  with the program or
they'll lose their patients that really want to breastfeed to me next baby
around if they've given bad advice and the patient has caught on [and many
do].

To my patients, it means they are going to be healthier because more of them
are going to be breastfed, exclusively or partially than if their
pediatrician said to their moms "use formula it's just as good". You
wouldn't believe how many of my patients don't need to come for many sick
visits, just touch base at well checks.

To the formula salespeople I'm one of those "troublemakers" that does
lactation. I actually sort of like that.

Diana, I think your idea sounds "do-able" and I think the IBCLC would give
you credibility. If you haven't joined the Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine
yet please consider it. It has a wonderful conference and a special session
on "What every physician needs to know about Breastfeeding". Please contact
me off list, I can put you in touch with some of our physicians that
practice  Breastfeeding Medicine exclusively.

Gail
Gail S. Hertz, MD, IBCLC