From:
Lisa Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Mar 1999 22:18:04 EST
<< Later I found out from the LC who had seen her inpatient
that her two sisters-in-law had been putting a lot of pressure on her to
breast feed.   >>

I overheard a conversation between two women of young babies (ages 7 and 15
months respectively).  Mom #1 bf her son for a few weeks but made it very
clear that she "was not one of those women who just *love* to bf".  She
complained that women around her were assuming (pressuring?) that she would bf
her baby.  She asked "What business was it of theirs?"  It almost sounded to
me that she did not want to be *told what to do* by anyone else.   Her
decision seemed less a choice to formula feed than a choice to *not
breastfeed*, just to prove a point to bf "lovers" that she could do as she
wished with her own baby.
  If encouraging a mom to breastfeed her baby starts to feel to her that she
is being *dictated to*, she is unlikely to bf for very long.  She might start
out bf to get you off her back (otherwise known as "I'll try it and see if it
works out")  but she may resent you and her baby.  Some women will be very
glad they "tried" and will continue when it goes well or will perservere
through the early challenges, but still others will quit at the slightest hint
of difficulty.   I tend to put those ones out of my mind pretty quickly and
focus on the ones that I *know* that I have helped!

Lisa Jones, LLLL in Wellington FL