Date:
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 20:35:21 -0500
At 03:45 PM 4/8/02 -0400, you wrote:
>Just have to make sure to get the kind of gentian violet which is not
>poisonous; there is a version that is and is usually marked with 'danger'
>info.  If the pharmacist is not told it is for niplles, the mother may end
>up with the wrong one :-(

All of the ones around here have a label that reads: For external use only.
If ingested call the poison control center. I think that GV is GV.

That warning is based on the "rat" study (which was actually on mice) that
Maureen mentioned. It was a successful attempt by the makers of Nystatin to
get GV declared unsafe because they also had an *unsuccessul* attempt at
showing that Nystatin was superior to Nystatin in resolving yeast problems.

I'm trying to find the summary of the mouse study on GV but I haven't found
it. When I do I will send it.

Pat Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee, Wisconcin

Mailto:[log in to unmask]