ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Fri, 19 Dec 2008 01:00:36 +0000

Good morning everyone,

As we get closer to opening, I am trying to work out how many demonstrators/explainers we will be needing at our Aquarium and Science Discovery Centre and as none of us have ever done anything like this before, we are all a bit clueless!

Could some of you guys please send me information, off-list if you like, of what staffing levels are like at your institution/science museum/etc. Things like:

How many demonstrators per area/section/visitor?
What is your ratio of qualified (graduate?) demonstrators to interns/volunteers?
What kind of shifts do you run? How many per day and for how long?
How do you cover for things like sickness, sudden compassionate leave and folks just suddenly not turning up?

Thanks a lot for any information you can give me

Laura Davies
Environmental Education Coordinator
Aquatica Aquarium and Science Discovery Centre
Kota Kinabalu
Sabah
Malaysian Borneo
www.aquaticakk.org