ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Erich Rose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Apr 2012 09:37:10 -0500

Agreed. Well stated from a scientific point of view.  But let me play the devil's advocate here and say that winning this battle will have little to do with science and much more to do with politics and major changes in how our country values education in all subject areas.  I will not go as far as supposing a conspiracy to "dumb-down" the electorate but it certainly has proven convenient (for centuries if not millennia.)

We will never get an honest chance to teach our children how to question the world around them if society keeps up this attitude that "you just better not be too smart for your britches."  All of these laws and standards being put forward have nothing to do with education, let alone science. This is part of a completely different agenda.

Erich Rose

Erich Rose Design
807 The Living End
Austin, TX 78746