ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Lisa Hubbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 May 2005 10:32:26 -0700

A discussion on customization, during AAM, focused on these kinds of
devices. Many were interested in using them to facilitate learning
experiences for social groups that visit together, rather than to deliver
additional content to individuals.

David Anderson shared his current work on metacognition. As I understood it,
he has found that a 72-item questionnaire that identifies metacognitive
styles can predict which learning roles children will take on in a group.
Also that having children with differing styles work together makes for more
learning than if they work with those who have similar styles. (David, do
you want to correct me on this?)
<http://www.cust.educ.ubc.ca/faculty/AndersonD.html>

Here's a reference I found today: Elayna Singer's concise overview of
principles for socially-mediated learning experiences for visitors, which
summarizes work by Paulette McManus, Judy Diamond, Lev Vygotsky, Minda
Borun, and Deborah Perry:
<http://www.aabga.org/public_html/reachOut/pdf/r0012.pdf>

Lisa Hubbell
Program Evaluator