Informal Science Education Network <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Oct 2013 17:16:52 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1 lines)
ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers

Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.

I would be very interested in hearing the answer to that....we always run into issues when I want to do "edible science" even if it's just a handful of jellybeans or something...

-----Original Message-----

From: Informal Science Education Network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Carol Knauss

Sent: Wednesday, October 09, 2013 12:03 PM

To: [log in to unmask]

Subject: Re: LN2

ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.

Hi Laura -

A related question. . . how do you handle your local Department of Health requirements?  Do you have to get a temporary food handling (preparing or service) license each time you do the demo - or do they issue one each year for your museum?  Also, do they come out and inspect each time?

Thank you,

Carol

Carol Knauss

Director of Operations

Ann Arbor Hands-On Museum

734-995-5439 | www.aahom.org

-----Original Message-----

From: Informal Science Education Network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Laura Dameron

Sent: Wednesday, October 09, 2013 11:16 AM

To: [log in to unmask]

Subject: Re: LN2

ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.

Hey Jeff,

We've made popsicle a few times before.  It takes a LOT of liquid nitrogen to get the popsicles frozen all the way.  I freeze all of my materials ahead of time and pulled it out of the freezer at the last minute. You can also place the materials in an ice bath to keep the temperature down as you bring in the kids and introduce the materials.  I could not find metal popsicle molds so I tried the molds at Walmart and the Dollar Tree.  The molds from the Dollar Tree worked better and was cheaper.

You have to be careful when you pour the liquid nitrogen.  I placed the molds in a large metal bowl.  I would pour the liquid nitrogen on the edge of the metal bowl until the liquid begin to solidify and them poured a little bit of the liquid nitrogen on top of the molds.  The last time we made the popsicles for a group, we only filled the molds up half way.  The results were a lot better and it cut down on some of the time it took to make the popsicles.  For school groups it usually does not work for us, We have a 45 minute window to make ice cream and serve it to the kids. I've only made popsicles for special groups and we had them doing other activities off and on while we finished the popsicles.

One idea that we have not tried yet but might work better would be to use candy molds instead of popsicle molds.  It should cut down on the time and amount of liquid nitrogen that you use.  I would suggest looking for the molds in which you can place a stick into the sides of the mold or have a little bit of a deeper area towards the outer wall so that you can rest the stick into the mold.

Best of luck,

*Laura Dameron*

*Director of Education and Exhibits*

*Imagination Station Science and History Museum*

*224 Nash Street East*

*PO Box 2127*

*Wilson, NC 27894*

*252-624-9913 office number*

*252-291-5113  museum main line*

*252-291-2968 fax*

*[log in to unmask]*

*www.imaginescience.org*

On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 10:25 AM, Jeff Rosenblatt <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology 

> Centers Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and 

> related institutions.

>

> **********************************************************************

> *******

>

> Has anybody ever used liquid nitrogen to make frozen popsicles?  If 

> so, does it work well, and does it take very long?

>

> Initially, I see more challenges than success with this.  Thought I'd 

> ask before we try it.

>

> --Jeff--

>

> Jeff Rosenblatt

> Director, Kansas City's Science Center Science City & Arvin Gottlieb 

> Planetarium

>

> Union Station Kansas City, Inc.

> 30 W. Pershing Rd.  Suite 400

> Kansas City, MO  64108

> Office:  816-460-2218

> [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

>

>

> **********************************************************************

> * For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers 

> and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.

>

> Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at 

> www.exhibitfiles.org.

>

> The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft.

> To learn more, visit

> http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.

>

> To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the 

> message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to 

> [log in to unmask]

>

For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.

Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.

The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.

To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to [log in to unmask]

For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.

Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.

The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.

To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to [log in to unmask]

The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit

http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.

To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the

message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to

[log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2